Monday, June 19, 2006

God is like a Traffic Cop

"If you judge people, you don't have time to love them," Mother Teresa.

There really, really is a finite number of people who will come across your path in life. One day life ends for each of us. How many of the hurting, lonely, seeking souls who God sends your way will you have reached out to? Will you speak a kind word to someone on the days when you're in a good mood? When we are cranky or in pain ourselves do we feel under no special obligation to show God's unfailing love to others? Do you think Christ stopped loving when he was being scourged or mocked? Wow. Imagine a love that can reach out even when it is scorned and abused. That's the kind of love I'm talking about - the selfless, exquisite agape that transcends every other emotion - the love that truly makes the world go around.

Have I said a prayer for the masses today? Adopted a child through a Christian agency? Signed up for the bone marrow registry? If I do not learn this kind of love on earth how can I expect to spend eternity with angels and saints? What an awesome responsibility! The one kind word I say, just one smile might be the thing that convinces another soul that life may be worth one more day, one more try. I have no way of knowing the torment that someone I pass on the street is going through. I have no way of knowing when I entertain the most high God's messengers unawares. Here is wisdom: If drivers knew where the cops were hiding out nobody would get caught speeding. If I love the law, I needn't ever fear a ticket. If I love the least of His brethren then I'll show love for Him.

Send them down my road, Lord and never let me get caught putting up a detour sign whatever my mood or circumstance.

Peace,

Ki

No comments: